Snacking: Know the pros and cons to understand what is best for your health  |  Photo Credit: iStock Images
- While snacking may be beneficial for some, it also has certain disadvantages
- When thinking about snacking, it is important to have a healthy approach to it
- Understand the pros and cons to pick the right snacking approach for yourself
New Delhi: People who are on strict diets need a carefully curated diet that includes all the nutrients essential to sustain them and aid them in achieving their fitness goals. But god forbid when the hunger pangs hit. Snacking may seem like the obvious way out of the hunger episodes that befall between two meals, however, it is also one of the eating habits that people often have second thoughts about. When in doubt, it is time to compare the options to see if the advantages weigh out the disadvantages.
Snacking – Know the pros and cons
It is essential to compare the pros and cons of snacking to pick the right eating path:
Pros of snacking: Here are some common advantages of snacking:
- It helps beat the pangs: It may be difficult to go without eating anything between two meals. Snacking may help satisfy the hunger during the time thereby keeping the body full and happy. This also helps keep the mood less irritable and agitated.
- It helps you get extra nutrients: Eating fruits and vegetables as salads or snacks can help get extra calories that may not be present in the meal. This can help the body stay fit from the outside and inside.
- Beneficial for people with diabetes: Going 4 to 6 hours without food can cause a sudden rise or fall in blood sugar levels in diabetes patients. Snacking is one of the best ways to avoid this from happening and managing blood glucose levels.
Cons of snacking: Here are some common disadvantages of snacking:
- Reduced hunger: Snacking may cause reduced hunger which may cause you to eat less of your meal. This may cause you to miss out on certain nutrients and calories.
- Consumption of extra calories: People often end up consuming an excessive amount of calories while snacking which may result in the futility of their diet plans or weight management goals.
- Unmoderated food consumption: It is important to be mindful of what you are snacking on. Eating junk, ultra-processed, or fried foods while snacking may end up being extremely unhealthy for the body.
Snacking – The verdict
Snacking can be a healthy approach to maintaining a diet plan but it is important to ensure healthy snacking. There are various ways in which snacking can go wrong and this is where your ability to make the right choices kick in. Learn to pick the right snack choice that suits your fitness goals because snacks, just like any other food can have both short term and long term effects on the body.
Disclaimer: Tips and suggestions mentioned in the article are for general information purpose only and should not be construed as professional medical advice. Always consult your doctor or a dietician before starting any fitness programme or making any changes to your diet.
Get the Latest health news, healthy diet, weight loss, Yoga, and fitness tips, more updates on Times Now